Major props to Mike O’Driscoll at Ginger Nuts of Horror for his immersive and insightful review of The Skeleton Melodies. “At his best, his stories show us ordinary people trying and, more often than not, failing, to make sense of a fucked-up world,” writes O’Driscoll. “No matter how grotesque or unreal the situations in which they find themselves, nor how egregious their mistakes, these are men and women we can empathise with.”
Short Story, “Feast Your Eyes,” to Appear in NIGHTSCRIPT, Vol. VII
Received word that my short story, “Feast Your Eyes on the Yawning Monotony of Humdrum Rot,” will appear in the forthcoming installment of C.M. Muller’s Nightscript, Volume 7, featuring absolutely stunning cover art by Jana Heidersdorf.
I’m certain more will make announcements in due time, but I have word from my colleagues, Douglas Ford (Ape in the Ring: & Other Tales of the Macabre and Uncanny) and Joshua Rex (What’s Coming For You) that they too will contribute stories to this edition of Nightscript.
This particular tale was constructed with the (fictional) setting as the centerpiece: the Mooring Cove Inn situated in a vague province along the coast of Lake Michigan. My characters find themselves lodged in this novelty, tourist-attraction of a hotel on New Year’s Eve, 2000. There is, indeed, a party of sorts; but, for my protagonist, the Gregorian festivity (and time itself) slips into the a rather grim event. Keep your “eyes” peeled on the noble month of October, 2021.
UPDATE: Table of contents for Nightscript, Vol. VII announced on C.M. Muller’s site, wherein I find myself in profoundly talented company…
1. “Feast Your Eyes on the Yawning Monotony of Humdrum Rot” — Clint Smith
2. “The Passing” — Joshua Rex
3. “When Sleep At Last — Douglas Thompson
4. “The Summer King’s Day” — Timothy Granville
5. “Roadkill” — Elin Olausson
6. “It Looked Like Her” — Gordon Brown
7. “Little Gods To Live In Them” — David Surface
8. “We Are The Gorillas” — Douglas Ford
9. “The Body Trick” — Alexander James
10. “Feed” — Jason A. Wyckoff
11. “’Neath The Mirror Of The Sea” — Rhonda Eikamp
12. “Clipped Wings” — Steve Toase
13. “The Cardboard Voice” — Tim Major
14. “The Validations” — Ashley Stokes
15. “A Perfect Doll” — Regina Garza Mitchell
16. “Madam and Yves” — Marc Joan
17. “The Delf” — Danny Rhodes
18. “Where the Oxen Turned the Plow” — Charles Wilkinson
19. “Feast of Fools: A Heartwarming Holiday Romance” — LC von Hessen
Nightscript, Volume VII will be released on October 1st, 2021.